The Love Dare - Day 3

Love Is Not Selfish

“Whatever you put your time, energy, and
Money into will become more important
To you. It’s hard to care for something
You are not investing in. Along with
Restraining from negative comments,
Buy your spouse something that says,
‘I was thinking of you today.’”


When you read what I bought my husband you’re probably going to think, ummm…oook…I don’t think that’s the point. But, I gave this a lot of thought. I prayed about it. And I kept going to the list of complaints I was presented with several times within the past few months. One of them revolved around my lack of cooking meals for the family. I have a strong dislike for cooking for just me, and then when the family is together, I always convince hubs to go out to eat. Well, guess what. That gets EXPENSIVE.

So, I thought about that issue in my marriage. I thought about the previous two dares. I thought about the other issues I’m trying to address within myself to help my marriage. And I thought about the fact that we were broke. No dollars. I don’t think I could have scraped together the 10 cents needed to buy hubs a stick of bubble gum.

So I bought him groceries.

What? Groceries you say? Yes. Groceries. I spent most of the day planning the menu for the next several days, especially since we would have the little one all weekend, plus a friend Friday evening. And I made a grocery list. And I stuck (for the most part to that list) and since Day 3, which was Wednesday, I have stuck to the menu, and cooked every night – even offering to take it to him to work Thursday night.

I’ve been trying REALLY hard to keep the negative thoughts away, and the past 24 hours has presented its own set of challenges with that. However, it’s getting easier, even if immeasurably miniscule, every day to push out those negative thoughts. When they creep in I go to the time when we were first married. I go to the times that we were truly happy, happy just being. And it inevitably makes the negative things disappear, and brings a smile to my face.

Now, if I could just learn to bring a smile to his face again.

0 comments:

Design by Blogger Templates